"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them." - Phil Pastoret
Only the Best for your Best Friend
because Compromise is Out of the Question
Diet & Nutrition
We strive to breed genetically sound Toy Australian Shepherds. But, genetics are only a part of raising a healthy dog. Nutrition plays a critical role in life time health. Many dog foods cannot be relied upon to meet your dog's nutritional requirements and nutrition can be attributed to a number of health issues.
We don’t feel there is one right way to feed a dog, nor do we believe there is a “perfect” dog food. There are multiple factors, including the individual dog and your lifestyle. For some, kibble is preferred due to it being readily available, and for others, pleasure is found in preparing wholesome, whole raw food meals for their pets. We have tried many different foods over the years, and we have spent countless hours speaking to several veterinarians and researching dog food and we have found pawTree food to be comparable in terms of quality and results, whilst being more convenient and more economical than raw feeding.
pawTree products are made in the United States, developed by veterinarians and nutritionists. Never having a recall, it is made with real meat, poultry, or fish as the first ingredient. It has zero artificial colors, preservatives, poultry by-products, corn, wheat or soy.
With no fillers or by-products, their nutritionally-dense food is rich in named-animal proteins and antioxidants, providing the pure, natural nutrition our pets need. As a result, you'll feed less per day than other pet food.
Their holistic approach to pet nutrition allows your pets to thrive, not just survive. This preventative measure helps you to avoid costly vet visits. On the other end of things, our CPC (Chief Poop Collector) Linas, is thrilled there’s less poop and less smell!
We Keep our Puppies on a Premium Rotating Diet.
Rotating your pet's food provides them with variety, which is important not just for appetite, but for health. Like with humans, a varied diet is healthy for dogs. It keeps them interested in their food while enhancing the diversity of their microbiome.
It reduces the risk of allergies and food intolerances, as well as helping prevent potential issues down the road.
What we feed our puppies
A combination of 3 different flavored pawTree foods
A daily squirt of Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
1/2 capsule of Gastro Pro Plus
Top it off with a nutritious flavored seasoning
We have a large food storage container and mix all three foods in the container. We realize that this is not reasonable for everyone. For us, having our puppies on three foods give you the option to choose one of the three flavors to continue feeding your puppy.
We think it's important to offer variety, and pawTree offers SuperFood Seasoning Toppers!
Make Mealtime Fun for Both You and Your Pets!
You don’t like to eat the same thing every day, and neither does your pet. They crave variety, but changing their food daily can lead to upset tummies. pawPairings Superfood Seasoning allows you to give your pet a different taste sensation at every meal WITHOUT stomach upset! pawPairings is a delicious topper you sprinkle on their food that adds a boost of delicious nutrition and variety to every meal.
Varieties include delectable freeze-dried proteins – many single-source (either meat, poultry or fish) and a concentrated source of 8 fruits and vegetables that are truly Yappetizing!
Now you can easily change up their meals every day. So give your pets a break and just shake, shake, shake!
- Provides variety at mealtime
- Delicious freeze-dried proteins (either meat, poultry or fish)
- Boost of nutrition with a concentrated source of 8 fruits and vegetables – Pumpkin, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Tomatoes, Carrots, Cranberries, Pomegranates and Blueberries
- Contains a special vitamin blend
- A delicious seasoning for any dog or cat food
- Provides variety and healthy antioxidants
- Reduces mealtime boredom
- Developed by Veterinarians and Nutritionists
- Made in the U.S.A.
Watch Why We Enthusiastically Recommend pawTree.
By continuing with the pawTree food, salmon oil, gastro pro plus, and seasonings you can be rest assured that you're providing the variety your pet craves and the nutrition they deserve.
Here's some of my personal favorite things about pawTree that I didn't cover above, but wanted to mention...
- They sell different flavored baking mixes so you can make your own muffins/cookies for your pets. I love this so much - so fun and rewarding! Plus, you know that the ingredients are nutritious, wholesome, and human-grade!
- You can create a profile for your pet, upload their photo, and come up with your own personalized name for your dog food. Every bag you order will come with your dog's photo on it and its custom name! So cute!!!!
- If at any point in your pets life they develop allergies, become a picky eater, has any health issues, or stress/anxiety you can have pawTree, at no charge, create a customized nutrition plan specifically for your pet. How cool is that?!
- This may not mean anything to you, but if watch any of our videos on YouTube you're bound to catch a glimpse of our Spyhyx cat, Raisin. All of pawTree's treats can be fed to your dogs AND your cats. Raisin is beyond thrilled and put his stamp of approval on all of the treats!
Just Tell Me What I Need...
These are the 3 foods I buy and mix together:
- Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe (Grain Free)
- Real Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe
- Real Whitefish & Brown Rice (Poultry Free)
You don't have to get all 3 (but you can if you'd like) - I mix all three in a big container so my dogs and puppies get a little bit of all 3 in each meal. If you only choose one food, I would recommend the Chicken & Sweet Potato mainly because it has a higher protein and fat content which is good for growing puppies.
How much should I feed?
Click the text below to see the recommended amount for each flavor. Their food is so nutritionally dense I would start on the low end and go up if needed.
They make 7 different flavors with each one having a boost of nutrition with a concentrated source of 8 fruits and vegetables – Pumpkin, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Tomatoes, Carrots, Cranberries, Pomegranates and Blueberries; and a special vitamin blend.
With the Ultimate Gourmet Pack, you can try all 7 flavors:
- Chicken Liver Medley
- Salmon Medley
- Turkey Medley
- Duck Medley
- Chicken Medley
- Beef Medley
- Oceanfish Medley
If you're not ready to try all 7, you can get 3 or 5 packs or each flavor individually.
3. Salmon Oil
I give 1/2 pump/squirt on top of their food per day. Anyone over 12 lbs I give one full pump per day. Just a few reasons why I love this stuff.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for your pet's optimum health
- Healthy skin - beautiful coat
- Nutrient-rich, supports healthy growth and development
- Promotes an optimally-functioning immune system
- Supports eye and ear health
Just like with humans, good health begins in the gut. Many issues with pets come down to their gut and digestion. I love this product because it contains:
PROBIOTICS – beneficial microorganisms for GI health (the good bacteria)
PREBIOTICS – long-chain sugars which feed the good bacteria to assist in probiotic growth
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES – assist in the breakdown of fats, proteins, starches and cellulose
HERBS – to help soothe the gut
Pamper your Pets
In addition to my "Core Four" I highly recommend the below products. I am happy to help you decide on what you need and answer any questions you have. I can even get your account set up for you and set up your own personalized shopping list!
Joint Support Plus
One of the most common health issues with any small breed dog is luxating patella's (bad knees). Puppies/dogs can cause joint issues by doing simple everyday activities like running, jumping, etc. Because of this, we recommend putting your pet on a joint supplement to help maintain joint, bone and supporting soft tissue health.
Gourmet Baking Mixes
Because who doesn't want to bake for their pets?! These are so easy to make and they're delicious and nutritious! You can make cakes, cupcakes, cookies, or muffins. Get the kids involved and make it a fun activity for the family!
- PB&J with Peanut Butter, Cranberries & Bananas
- Snicker'doodles' with Cinnamon, Apples & Honey
- Gingerlicious Snaps with Ginger, Honey & Cinnamon
These favorites are perfect for training and rewarding. They come in 8 different flavors! Unlike most pet treats on the market that are made up of empty calories, fillers, and are high in carbohydrates, pawTreats are made with real meat and complementary fruits and vegetables. No fillers whatsoever! They're all natural and completely grain free. Available in freeze-dried or dry-roasted varieties to preserve the goodness of their ingredients.
Flea & Tick Spray - The Natural Way
This is a great product if you opt not to use heartworm, flea, or tick preventative (please consult with your veterinarian) or if you do, this product is great to use in addition for that extra added protection. This unique blend of peppermint oil and clove oil extract kills fleas and ticks on contact and helps prevent future infestations naturally. Use it directly on your pet's bedding, pillows, blankets, carpets and rugs or spray it directly on your pet. This is safe to use on yourself too!
- All Natural
- Kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks and mosquitoes on contact
- Repels mosquitoes
- Contains absolutely no pyrethrins or cedar oil
- Fresh, invigorating scent
Potty Training Essentials
- Enzymatic technology breaks down urine proteins hidden in your carpet
- Cleans urine all the way down to the subfloor
- Unique bacteria blend neutralizes tough odors fast
- Permanently removes urine stain and smell instead of just masking it
- Helps prevent repeat marking
- Effective on both old and new stains
- Safe to use on carpets, upholstery, hard surfaces, cement and all other water-safe surfaces
Oxy Shot Surface Stain Remover
- Eliminates the toughest pet and household stains
- Effective on: Feces, diarrhea, dirt, vomit, blood, grass, ‘pet sweat’, wine and coffee
- High-impact odor neutralizers completely and permanently destroy pet-related odors
- Helps prevent repeat marking
- Effective on both old and new stains
- Safe for use on carpets, upholstery, bedding, clothing and any water-safe surface
I don't recommend using pee pads only because it will take house training longer. I recommend you start taking your puppy outside right away every 2-3 hours as needed but, this is just not reasonable for some folks and that is ok!
- Super absorbent quilted pads
- 5-layer construction includes:
- Leak proof backing to protect your floor
- 3 quilted layers of super absorbent polymer (the stuff in baby diapers) with added attractant
- Quick-drying top layer wicks fluid quickly into the pad so it’s dry to the touch and helps prevent tracking
- Special attractant helps your dog know where to ‘go’!
- Controls odors
- Ideal for house-training; unattended indoor pets; lining crates or carriers
- Pad size: 21" x 21"
Whew!!! That was A LOT of info! Congrats on making it all the way through! 🙂 Our goal is to set you and your puppy up for success from day one! pawTree offers many other products for specific needs and conditions. If you're looking for something in particular, and can't find it on the website please don't hesitate to ask us.
...and don't forget - you and your puppy are VIP to us!! We are happy to help you decide/answer any questions and we can do all the leg work and get your account set up with a personalized shopping list!
Happy Trails & Wagging Tails,